Road Traffic Accident during TT – what should I do...?
The annual Isle of Man TT races are taking place from Saturday 27th May to Friday 9th June and, as a result, there will be countless more cars and bikes on the Island’s roads. While we encourage all drivers to go safely and stick to the speed limits there is always the risk that others will not do the same…
With this in mind, our General Insurance Team have prepared a quick ‘step-by-step’ guide on what to do if you are unlucky enough to bump, scratch or crash your vehicle in the coming TT period:
- If possible or appropriate, pull into a safe place and turn on your hazard warning lights.
- Keep your sidelights on if visibility is low or if it is dark.
- Check for any personal injuries and, if necessary, call for an ambulance.
- Call the police and obtain an incident number.
- Check for damage to your vehicle.
- If it is an accident involving more than one driver, keep calm and do not admit fault or liability; if another driver admits the accident was their fault, make a note of this. Exchange details with the other driver(s) – i.e. name, address, phone number, car registration number, insurance company and the policy number (if known).
- Take the names, addresses and contact telephone numbers of any witnesses.
- Write down in as much detail how the accident happened, including diagrams. If you have a camera with you – and if it is safe to do so – take photos of the scene and any damage.
- Report the accident and above details to your insurance broker.
As always, if you have any queries about your policy cover, please don’t hesitate to call one of the Edgewater General Insurance team and we will be happy to help.
All of us at Edgewater hope you have a safe and enjoyable TT fortnight!